Saturday, April 30, 2011

what the heck??

I spent about an hour with a brain injury patient the other day and was able to get away with any comments about my speech, accent, whatever until the very end of the session and the grown SON of the patient decides to say something. After the conversation, I had to wonder whether it was the patient or the son that had the brain injury.

Son: "so what's your problem with your speech" as he points to his mouth
Me: "the problem with my speech??" and I kinda had this insulted look on my face hoping he'd drop it
Son: He didn't get the clue and proceeded to say "yeah??"
Me: pause..."I'm from Sweden"
Son: "OHHH wow" *pause* "so wait" *pause* "do all Swedish people have speech problems?"
Me: as I give him a blank stare..."it's an accent"
Son: "oh so it's nothing to do with your...." he points to his forehead as he says this and doesn't finish his sentence

What was he thinking?? That the therapist who is treating his mother has some kind of retardation that is the source of my "speech problems"???

No comments:

Post a Comment