Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Drama classes

I'm working with a patient the other day and going over the discharge instructions with her as she's getting ready to go home. She interrupted me at one point and asked me to slow down, "you're talking too fast" she says. She talks reeeaaaally slow so I'm sure my pace was super fast for her. She talks almost like a stroke patient, slow and overly enunciated speech. As we're wrapping up, I asked her if she has anymore questions.
Patient: "well this may be off subject but let me tell you something"
Me: "ok"
Patient: "when I was a little girl I used to stutter all the time, we're not really sure why but I always stuttered when I spoke, especially when I talk fast. So they put me in this drama class to help encourage me to have clearer and slower speech. It's really worked well. I haven't stuttered at all to you have I?"
Me: "no you haven't"
Patient: "may be something you want to look into...drama classes"
Me: "mmm, I'll keep that in mind"

No comments:

Post a Comment