Sunday, March 27, 2011

I....know....

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a huge animal lover, especially dogs. I much prefer to be in a room full of dogs than a room full of people. I'm a human physical therapist but I'm also certified in canine therapy and I'd be the first to admit, I can't wait to leave the human job and work with canines full time. So with that being said....

A couple years ago now, Sean and I were invited to one of his high school friend's wedding. We drove up to NC and it was my first time meeting all of his high school buddies and their wives. We had a great time at the reception and then headed over to the groom's house afterwards to continue the party. The bride and groom has a beautiful Great Dane mix named Charlie and he looked just like a bigger version of Grissom. Of course, I make a beeline to the family room to meet Charlie and to love on him. Sean heads off with his buddies and all the wives are in the kitchen which is open to the family room. One of the ladies there, in her 50s maybe, who's also drunk I might add, came up to me in the family room. She gets down to my eye level and says....
Drunk old lady: "we...all....are....talking....in....the....kitchen"
Me: "I know, I'm just playing with Charlie here"
Drunk old lady: "I...know....about....your....*points to ears*" and gives me a 'sympathetic' look

I have a thousand comebacks running through my head at this point but honestly can't say anything, I'm just appalled and can't speak. This drunk old lady is giving me a pity party because I'm a disabled person that has to isolate myself with the dog. What she doesn't know is this is EXACTLY why I'd prefer to hang out with the dog than with people! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment