Thursday, March 10, 2011

"It's how you make friends"

This title is how I became friends with one of my closest friends. I'll never forget as I'm at my first grad school party, Ashley and her "Virginia Tech boys" came through the door with some Boone's Farm wine announcing "it's how you make friends!". Not long after that, I was invited on Sean's boat one summer day with Sean, Ashley and her fiancee, Ricky. I was reflecting on this moment a couple weeks ago with Ashley and I thought I'd share some of our first conversations on the boat.

Before I continue, keep in mind, I've had very expensive "ears" almost my entire life. Between my mom's voice constantly in the back of my mind and my maturity that has developed over the years, I'm VERY protective of my ears, especially when it comes to bodies of water as they absolutely can not get wet. So with this said.... As I get ready to go wakeboard, I take out my ears, put them in a safe spot on the boat and jump into the water.
Ashley as she is freaking out: "WHERE ARE YOUR EARS???"
Me: I'm thinking seriously?? "They're on the boat" I mean seriously like I would jump in the water with them on....
This conversation probably happened EVERY single time I jumped in the water for maybe that whole summer and the next summer after that.

Another conversation....
As each one of us take turns wakeboarding/surfing/skiing/tubing and as each one of us falls, the boat circles around to pick up the skiier. Tradition is for those that can actually hear in the water, we turn down the music so that we can talk to them for a few minutes and maybe give them any tips on how to make the jumps higher or how to complete that 360 degree turn. However, as I'm in the water and the boat circles around on me, it's completely pointless to turn down the music as I will not be able to hear. However, it takes Ashley and Ricky a couple tries to remember....
Me: floating in the water waiting on the boat to circle around
Ashley: "turn down the music so we can talk to her!!"
Sean: as he looks at Ashley "Ashley she can't hear you"
Ashley: "oh yeah" and turns back up the music
Me: I get up for another spin, after a while I'm back in the water and waiting on the boat to circle around
Ashley: "turn down the music we can talk to her!!"
Sean: as he looks at Ashley "Ashley she CAN'T hear you"
Ashley: "oh yeah" and turns back up the music
This conversation probably happened every time the boat circled around on me for an entire summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment