Monday, December 13, 2010

Do you know sign language???

These last couple months, the hospital has had several deaf patients come through our doors. I've now had this conversation (or a conversation VERY similiar) with two nurses and another physical therapist.

I am either walking down the hall minding my own business or writing notes as this nurse (or PT) comes running up to me in a frenzy.
Nurse: "Hey Sarah do you know sign language??" with a very hopeful look on their face
Me: "Nope sorry"
Nurse: "DAMMIT" and they turn around to run off in another direction
I'm sitting there thinking "what the hell, just because I'm deaf, I'm supposed to know sign??"
I just shrugged it off...until this week.....

I'm working with a hispanic patient that doesn't know a word of english and I had a very important question to ask that couldn't wait for a spanish interpreter....
I see a dark-skinned janitor cleaning a room down the hall, so I run down the hall and say:
Me: "Hey, do you know Spanish, can you interpret something real quick for me"
Janitor: *rolls her eyes* "no, I am NOT spanish nor do I know spanish"
I apologized profusely....

No comments:

Post a Comment