Thursday, December 9, 2010

An eventful day at work....

Here's a few more that have happened in the last couple weeks. One of them doesn't refer to my deafness but it's pretty funny...

For several days, I worked with this young man who was pretty sick and I even wondered if he'd remember me. Well one day, another therapist, Sonya, had to take him since I was too busy. Sonya found me after seeing this young man and told me that he was asking where I was. I guess he finally became alert enough to ask and surprisingly, actually remembered enough of me to ask Sonya. He specifically asked "where's that blonde therapist...the special talking one?" The other therapist got a kick out of that. I'm "special" alright, ha!

You remember back in my first post with the patient asking if I was deaf, mute or both? Refer to my first post if you don't. Well I saw him again, about a month later. This is how it goes...
Me: "Hey, you remember me?"
Patient: "Yep, I do, you're a PT"
Me: "Yep" I start talking to him about how he's doing and what we're going to do
Patient: "Before we start, I have a question"
Me: "what's that?" (knowing once again it's going to be about my ears)
Patient: "was it that you can't speak or that you can't hear?"
Me: "Well I've just been speaking to you for the last 10 minutes"
Patient: *Thinks about it for several minutes* "That was a stupid question wasn't it?"
Me: "yes sir, it was"
Seriously?!?! Idiot....

And this one is my favorite...
Myself and one of our aides, Pam, was in a patient's room trying to get her to participate with PT but she wanted nothing to do with us. While we're not allowed to force people to do what they don't want too, sometimes by sitting a patient at the edge of the bed, they actually feel better and then are more willing to work with us. So I just tell Pam, alright let's move her to the edge of the bed.
Upon sitting at the edge of the bed, she has this pissed off look on her face and looks at me very seriously, and with a very serious tone says:
"I can fight you....and I'm 99 years old"
I laid that patient back down and left her alone the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment